You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Names

Outside the Box to return in 2015

Mighty Mighty Bosstones performed at the festival last July.

Aram Boghosian for Boston Globe/file

Mighty Mighty Bosstones performed at the festival last July.

We were wondering why we hadn’t heard any news lately from the Outside the Box festival. As you recall, the arts and music festival was a vast undertaking last year. The brainchild of Boston-born arts patron and philanthropist Ted Cutler, it brought crowds to Boston Common and City Hall Plaza to see more than 200 acts, including such popular bands as the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Los Lobos, in the inaugural fest last July 13-21.

Well, it won’t be happening this summer. Cutler released a statement on the festival’s Facebook page on Tuesday saying that Outside the Box will return in 2015.

Continue reading below

“For this festival to continue,” Cutler wrote, “the next version of Outside the Box must be created. It must consist of collaborative efforts of many arts and civic organizations to provide the efficiencies, innovation, and agilities for this mission to change the culture.”

Cutler faced his share of problems launching the festival last year. As he searched for sponsors, he was cautioned that it could cost him more than $5 million. And management troubles brought additional challenges. But in his statement, Cutler pointed to the festival’s successes. He said that hundreds of thousands of people had enjoyed the festival’s free entertainment. And he added that the organization would be introducing a membership program this spring.

“We are going to take the next year and build an organization comprised of the finest organizations and individuals in the region that share the mission of Outside the Box,” Cutler wrote. “Together we will build a festival that will return in the summer of 2015 that will be comprised of the entire community, not just for the entire community.”

Cutler could not immediately be reached on Wednesday for comment. Last year, he was optimistic about the festival’s growth. “This will get bigger and bigger every year,” he told the Globe. Now Bostonians will just have to wait to see how his vision plays out.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.