Today we go back in time to visit Salem, which is now often associated with witch trials, Halloween, and the Peabody Essex Museum. This photograph depicts life in a small city from a certain period: Children line up in front of a parochial school — no trick here, just a photographic treat.
This photo is from Nov. 3, 1903. The mother house of the order of Les Soeurs de l’institute de l’enfance Jesus et Marie purchased St. Joseph’s parochial school and St. Joseph’s Convent on Harbor Street for $75,000. In addition to establishing a mother house here, the nuns taught at St. Joseph’s parochial school.For more “From the Archives” photos, visit www.bostonglobe.com/archives.