Saying in a press release that they “don’t feel the musical is ready for production,’’ the producers behind “Magic Mike The Musical,’’ which was scheduled to make its much-anticipated world premiere at the Emerson Colonial Theatre this November before transferring to Broadway, announced Thursday that they have canceled the show’s Boston engagement.
It was not immediately clear whether producers plan to go forward with the show and, if so, whether the Boston engagement will be rescheduled. Adrian Bryan-Brown, spokesman for the producers, said Thursday that they had no further comment. He said an announcement will be forthcoming in the next week or so on “what the next step will be.’’
Robert Jones, a spokesman for Ambassador Theatre Group, which operates the Colonial, said: “I have no further information on the show.’’
Signs of trouble surfaced three weeks ago when it was announced that the high-profile writing team for “Magic Mike’’ — composer Tom Kitt, lyricist Brian Yorkey, and book writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa — were leaving the production due to what a spokesman called “creative differences.’’ Their departure forced the postponement of a workshop that had been scheduled for earlier this month.
The musical was billed as a prequel to the first “Magic Mike’’ movie, which became a hit in 2012, starring Channing Tatum as Mike Lane, a stripper in Florida who has entrepreneurial ambitions. Tatum and the film’s director, Steven Soderbergh, were among the coproducers of “Magic Mike The Musical.’’
According to the Thursday announcement, ticketholders will be refunded in full. Don Aucoin