You can now read 10 articles each month for free on BostonGlobe.com.

The Boston Globe

Business

EU reaches $1.3 trillion budget deal

BRUSSELS — European Union leaders reached an outline deal on Friday for the 27-country bloc’s $1.3 trillion, seven-year budget, overcoming British objections to sign off on the agreement.

British Prime Minister David Cameron had held out for the same financial conditions already promised him months ago, overshadowing a summit called to approve plans to deal with the continent’s youth unemployment problems.

Continue reading below

However, in the end, all 27 nations backed the budget deal. EU President Herman Van Rompuy said ‘‘it is a quite clear ‘yes’,’’ when it came to unanimous backing of the 2014-2020 spending plan.

Beyond the seven-year spending plan, which still needs full parliamentary approval, the EU countries also injected a sense of fresh credibility into efforts to control the region’s economic problems when they agreed earlier Thursday on the shape of future bank bailouts.

Nonetheless, the budget deal also highlighted deep divisions among the 27 EU nations over whether to spend or cut their way out of crisis, with the UK seeking reassurances that it won’t have contribute too much at a time of belt-squeezing across the continent.

The multi-annual budget, which includes the first cut to EU spending in its history, determines what the bloc can spend on common infrastructure like railway or road projects, farming subsidies and aid to poor countries. It’s separate from national budgets — and much smaller — but a source of difficult and passionate debate.

The decision only came after some protracted brinkmanship following the British objections to an outline reached early Thursday. Cameron surprised most with his call for ‘‘absolutely essential’’ guarantees that the EU stick to parts of an earlier agreement reached in February.

Due to a provision on agricultural funding, the country could have lost some of its previously negotiated repayment from the budget, costing it about an annual 200 million to 300 million euros, a diplomat from a major EU country said.

The issue left London up against Paris, which would have to pay for the bulk of the shortfall otherwise, the diplomat said.

In the end, Van Rompuy said the British concerns were taken on board since ‘‘actually nothing has changed’’ since the February agreement.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than $1 a week