You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Red Sox Live

9

2

▲  8th Inning 1 outs

Google offers to cut charge to rivals to settle EU probe

BRUSSELS — Google Inc. cut the minimum amount it would seek to charge rivals to show their links in its latest offer to settle a European Union antitrust probe, according to an EU official.

While the minimum reserve price to bid for links to appear as an answer to specialized search queries would go down to 4 cents per click from 14 cents, users would have the option to hide alternative search sites, said the official, who isn’t authorized to be cited by name, in line with EU policy.

Continue reading below

Competitors of Google, the world’s largest search engine, got details of the company’s proposal on Monday.

The latest round of commitments may allow EU regulators to end a three-year probe into how Google promotes its specialist search services, such as Google News and Google Finance, copies competitors’ travel and restaurant reviews, and has agreements with websites and software developers that stifle competition in the advertising industry.

A group representing Microsoft, Expedia, and Nokia said the offer still isn’t enough.

‘‘It seems that no genuinely significant changes have been made to the initial proposal, so it is difficult to see how the new package can hope to solve the competition concerns’’ EU Antitrust Commissioner Joaquin Almunia ‘‘has declared must be addressed,’’ Thomas Vinje, a Brussels-based lawyer for FairSearch Europe, said in a statement.

Google, based in Mountain View, Calif., said that it has made significant changes to its offer to address the EU’s concerns, including increasing the visibility of rival services.

‘‘Unfortunately, our competitors seem less interested in resolving things than in entangling us in a never-ending dispute,’’ Al Verney, a Brussels-based spokesman for Google, said in a statement.

The EU sent the latest version of the Google offer to all companies and groups that responded to the previous commitments earlier this year. They all have four weeks to reply.

Almunia has said positive feedback would allow him to make the new offer legally binding for five years. He said this month that he’d sought the improvements after ‘‘very negative’’ responses from rivals to an offer Google made earlier this year.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.