NEW YORK — Sbarro Inc. said it is closing 155 of its locations, mostly in mall food courts where traffic has declined.
The Melville, N.Y., pizza chain said Wednesday that the closures affect 1,400 workers. The move comes as the company is trying to improve its financial performance under its new leadership team.
Jonathan Dedmon, a representative for Sbarro, said the targeted locations will close Thursday.
Sbarro owns 400 locations in North America. The closures do not affect 175 Sbarro locations that are owned by franchisees. Sbarro will operate 800 stores worldwide after the closures, including 81 that were opened last year.
Sbarro filed for bankruptcy protection in April 2012 when it was no longer able to contend with rising food costs and declining sales related to the recession. The company completed its reorganization and left Chapter 11 protection in November 2012.