You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Apple’s bid to ban sales of Samsung phones is rejected

SAN FRANCISCO — Samsung Electronics defeated Apple’s bid for a court order barring US sales of some Samsung smartphones that were found to infringe Apple patents in a ruling that may affect a trial over current products.

US District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, Calif., for a second time rejected Apple’s request to ban more than 20 Samsung smartphones, no longer on the market, that were at issue in the companies’ first US patent trial in 2012.

Continue reading below

The decision may give Samsung leverage as the world’s top two smartphone makers continue to talk to a mediator about a possible settlement before the companies’ next patent trial, scheduled for March 31, which covers newer devices.

‘‘The real importance of this ruling is what it tells us about Apple’s chances of winning a future injunction against Samsung,’’ said Brian Love, a professor at Santa Clara University law school. ‘‘Right now, those chances don’t look very good.’’

In their battle to dominate the worldwide smartphone market, Samsung and Apple have spent hundreds of millions of dollars in legal fees claiming each copied features of the other’s products since Apple initiated the fight in 2011.

Samsung accounted for 28.8 percent of global smartphone shipments in the three months ended Dec. 31, down from 29.1 percent a year earlier, Framingham-based market researcher IDC said in a Jan. 27 statement. Apple was second with 17.9 percent, IDC said.

Koh previously found in rejecting a sales ban that Apple didn’t prove that Samsung’s infringement caused irreparable harm. A federal appeals court later ordered her to reconsider her ruling, saying she set too high a standard in requiring Apple to show that patented features of its phones are the ‘‘sole driver’’ of consumer demand.

Koh concluded Thursday that the iPhone maker hasn’t met a more basic requirement that its patented touchscreen software fuels demand for the phones at issue.

In a final judgment, Koh also approved the $929.7 million penalty against Samsung that was the product of two separate jury verdicts on infringement damages.

Apple Inc., based in Cupertino, Calif., has argued in court filings that a sales ban is more important to the company than monetary damages, and has complained to Koh that Samsung releases new generations of products faster than courts are able to issue patent-infringement rulings.

Samsung Group, based in South Korea, urged Koh in January to deny the ban on the ground that Apple’s real aim was to make an ‘‘end run’’ around any injunction by pushing for another order targeting newer products by the Galaxy maker that haven’t been proven to infringe its rival’s patents.

The Galaxy maker contended that an injunction would create ‘‘fear and uncertainty’’ for carriers and retailers about what Samsung products they could legally offer.

Samsung said in an e-mail it is disappointed by Koh’s ‘‘erroneous calculation’’ for damages, and plans to appeal the ruling that it has infringed the patents at issue.

The companies told Koh Wednesday they are still negotiating through am unidentified mediator even as they prepare for the March 31 trial. Koh has urged them to pursue settlement talks before trial.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.