The New York Post has settled a defamation lawsuit over a cover three days after the Boston Marathon bombing that featured a photo of two Massachusetts residents with the headline ‘‘Bag Men.’’
Neither side would disclose terms of the settlement. A document filed in Suffolk Superior Court last week said only that the two sides have agreed to dismissal of the lawsuit.
The Post’s April 18, 2013, front page had a photo of Salaheddin Barhoum and Yassine Zaimi standing near the Marathon finish line with the headline ‘‘Bag Men.’’ The sub-headline was ‘‘Feds seek these two pictured at Boston Marathon.’’
Barhoum and Zaimi, who were spectators, said the story damaged their reputations and caused distress. The Post emphasized it did not name the men and never called them suspects in the attack, which killed three people.
Lawyers for both sides said in filings that e-mails circulating among law enforcement support their arguments.