fb-pixel Skip to main content

A Melrose man who said he was sickened after eating E. coli tainted food served by the Chicken & Rice Guys filed a lawsuit against the restaurant Tuesday in Suffolk Superior Court.

Trevor Bryant, 30, said he became ill after he ate a grilled chicken and rice plate with lettuce and pita on March 30th. The food, he said, had been delivered to his workplace in Boston.

The lawsuit did not specify which location Bryant ordered from, but the lawsuit said several days later, he became very ill, sought medical treatment and tested positive for E. coli.

Bryant is seeking damages “in excess of $25,000,” including related medical care.

Advertisement



The Middle Eastern food emporium, which operates three Boston restaurants and one in Medford, along with five food trucks, has been closed since April 11 as city and state public health officials try to determine what caused the outbreak. There have been 15 confirmed cases of E. coli, and 10 people have needed hospitalization, city officials said Tuesday.

E. coli O157:H7, the strain identified in Bryant’s case, is a potentially deadly bacterium that can cause dehydration, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps two to eight days after exposure. While most people recover within a week, some develop a type of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome that can be fatal. State health officials have said that no one sickened by the recent outbreak developed the syndrome.

Ryan Osterholm, a partner in the Minneapolis, Minn. based legal firm Pritzker Hageman, P.A., said the firm is also representing four other people, between the ages 22 and 35, who were sickened after eating at the chain due to E. coli, in addition to Bryant. No additional suits have yet been filed.


Megan Woolhouse can be reached at megan.woolhouse@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @MegWoolhouse.