Talking Points

TALKING POINTS

Diet Pepsi with aspartame returning to shelves in US

SODA

Diet Pepsi with aspartame makes a comeback

Diet Pepsi made with aspartame is returning to shelves in the United States after PepsiCo saw sales plummet following its reformulation of the drink last summer to remove the artificial sweetener. PepsiCo says it will offer ‘‘Diet Pepsi Classic Sweetener Blend’’ made with aspartame starting in September, in 12-ounce cans, 2-liter bottles, and 20-ounce bottles. The move is intended to appease fans who don’t like the taste of the reformulated drink, which is made with the artificial sweetener sucralose. But PepsiCo Inc. said Diet Pepsi made with sucralose, commonly known by the brand name Splenda, will remain its primary diet soda offering. Those cans will be silver, while the ‘‘classic’’ Diet Pepsi with aspartame will be come in light blue packaging. — ASSOCIATED PRESS

TRAVEL

Record
road travel predicted for Fourth of July weekend

If you’re road-tripping this holiday weekend, you’re in good company. With US gasoline prices the lowest in more than a decade, July 4 travelers are expected to hit the road in record numbers. Nearly 43 million Americans will travel for Independence Day, the highest volume on record, according to AAA in its annual July 4 travel forecast. The nation’s largest motoring group estimates about 85 percent will travel by car, as drivers take advantage of the lowest pump prices since 2005. The average retail price for gasoline is down 17 percent from this time last year, according to AAA. Regular unleaded gasoline slid to $2.32 a gallon Thursday, the cheapest price for this time of year since 2005. Another incentive for travelers to grab the car keys this July 4 is the extra day off from work with the federal holiday falling on a Monday. This year marks the third consecutive three-day weekend for July 4. — BLOOMBERG

REAL ESTATE

Waldorf Astoria to close next spring as condo conversion begins

New York’s landmark Waldorf Astoria hotel is scheduled to close in spring 2017 so owner Anbang Insurance Group Co. can begin converting most of the more than 1,400 rooms to luxury condominiums, said a person with knowledge of the plans. The luxury hotel, managed by Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc., is set to reopen as many as three years later, with about 300 to 500 hotel rooms remaining, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the plans aren’t public. News of the planned spring closing was reported Sunday by the Wall Street Journal. Hilton referred questions to Anbang. Anbang bought the Waldorf Astoria, an Art Deco icon on Park Avenue, in February 2015 for $1.95 billion, a record price for a US hotel, and has said it plans to convert most of the property to luxury condos. — BLOOMBERG

FAST FOOD

Chipotle launches temporary loyalty program amid continued slow sales

Advertisement

Chipotle is introducing a temporary loyalty program intended to get customers back into its stores following a series of food scares. The Mexican food chain already has given away millions of burritos through coupons to try to fill up empty locations after an E. coli outbreak and norovirus cases last year sent sales plunging. In the first three months of this year, Chipotle’s sales at established locations were down about 30 percent. On Monday, Chipotle said its ‘‘Chiptopia’’ loyalty program will reward people based on the number of times they visit each month, starting in July and running through September. The program has three reward levels, with more visits translating to more free entrees and other benefits. — ASSOCIATED PRESS

WAGES

Supreme Court upholds minimum wage and overtime for home health care workers

Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
The day's top stories delivered every morning.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

The Supreme Court rejected a challenge to Obama administration regulations that extend minimum wage and overtime pay rights to nearly 2 million home health care workers. The justices on Monday turned away an appeal from home care industry groups that said the Labor Department overstepped its authority when it approved the rules in 2013. The rules apply to workers hired through third-party staffing agencies that provide home care to the elderly and people with injuries, illnesses, or disabilities. A federal judge scrapped the regulations last year, but a federal appeals court reversed that ruling. Workers hired through third-party staffing agencies had previously been exempt from minimum wage and overtime pay rules since 1974. — ASSOCIATED PRESS

AUTOMOTIVE

Another
death tied
to exploding
air bag

An air bag made by the auto supplier Takata has been linked to a crash that killed a woman in Malaysia over the weekend, the vehicle’s manufacturer said Monday. It is the 14th death that has been tied to the ruptures of Takata-made air bag inflaters, which is at the center of a worldwide safety recall. The devices, when they deploy with excessive force, can throw shrapnel-like shards at a vehicle’s occupants. In the biggest and most complex consumer safety problems in industry history, automakers have recalled more than 60 million vehicles to fix the defect, which has also been blamed for more than 100 injuries. While most of the fatalities have occurred in the United States, four have now taken place in Malaysia. Worldwide, millions of recalled vehicles are still on the road, as carmakers struggled to cope with the huge numbers of cars involved. Such was the case with the Honda involved in the latest Malaysian crash on Saturday, which resulted in the death of a 44-year-old Malaysia woman. — NEW YORK TIMES

MEDIA

Redstone allows Dauman to run Viacom during court fight

Billionaire Sumner Redstone has agreed to let Philippe Dauman continue running Viacom Inc. while proposing to limit the chief executive officer’s room to maneuver as the fight for control of the media empire plays out in court. Redstone, along with Dauman and other directors ousted from the Viacom board earlier this month, proposed Monday that the company’s management stay on while a judge decides whether Redstone can remove them legally, according to Delaware Chancery Court filings. The so-called status quo order would require Dauman to give five-days’ written notice before making any moves involving the Paramount movie studio, according to the filings. Dauman proposed in February to sell a stake in Paramount, which Redstone opposed, setting up the clash between the two. — BLOOMBERG