Justin Trudeau, the famously dreamy new prime minister of Canada, is visiting Washington for a series of high-level events, including a state dinner in his honor. And for many US citizens unhappy with our current crop of presidential candidates, his presence serves as a reminder of the kind of fun we’re not having. Photo ops with cute panda cubs? A leader who knows his stripper name? A woman honored on the country’s banknotes? No, we get gridlock in Congress and debates filled with insults. In fact, when it comes to many of the qualities for which the major US presidential candidates are famous, Trudeau comes out on top.
1. He’s a more faithful Canadian than Ted Cruz.
Cruz renounced his Canadian citizenship. OK, he waited until just two years ago, but still.
2. He’s a more successful socialist than Bernie Sanders.
Universal health care? He’s got your universal health care.
3. He’s smoother at taking up the mantle of a political family dynasty than Hillary Clinton.
No unsuccessful first tries. One and done.
4. He’s got better footwork in the ring than Donald Trump.
5. He’s nicer than self-described “nice guy” John Kasich.
6. He’s better at being a good-looking young politician than Marco Rubio.
Just look at these photos. Nuff said.
Want more? Watch Trudeau himself:
More coverage:firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter @GlobeOstriker.