The New England Aquarium is the sixth most-visited aquarium in North America, out of 51 accredited aquariums, according to the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. Here is where it ranks:
1. Georgia Aquarium, Atlanta: 2.2 million annual visitors
2. Monterey Bay Aquarium, Monterey, Calif.: 2.08 million
3. Shedd Aquarium, Chicago: 2.02 million
4. Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach, Calif.: 1.6 million
5. Steinhart Aquarium, San Francisco: 1.4 million
6. New England Aquarium, Boston: 1.3 million
David Abel can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @davabel.