Seven reasons to move to Massachusetts instead of Canada
Americans crashed Canada’s Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship website Tuesday night as Donald Trump rode a populist wave to victory.
But those looking for an escape from Trump’s policies may not need to head across the border — Massachusetts offers plenty of attractive options that our neighbor to the north lacks.
Here are a few that come to mind:
1. If Obamacare is repealed, Massachusetts will still have universal health care. It’s been state law since 2006 and is what the Affordable Care Act was modeled on. It’s very popular, and it’s not going anywhere.
2. Ditto for marriage equality. Massachusetts’ highest court legalized same-sex marriage in 2004. So even if a conservative Supreme Court overturned itself on the issue, it would still be legal here.
3. We just legalized recreational marijuana on Tuesday. Toke on that, Trudeau.
4. Apparently, Massachusetts and Hawaii are the only states in the country in which every county voted for Hillary Clinton.
5. Aside from our very popular (and very moderate) governor, all statewide offices are held by Democrats, who also control both the state House and Senate.
6. If you REALLY need some poutine, Montreal is only a 6-hour drive from Boston.
7. Best of all, there is no convoluted immigration process with high hurdles to clear. Just aim toward New England and stop when every other store is a Dunkin’ Donuts.