Lifestyle

Clover is shutting down its food trucks

Lane Turner/Globe Staff

Clover is retiring its food trucks, according to a letter from the company’s chief executive.

The Boston chain, which includes both trucks and restaurants, began as a food truck in 2008. Ayr Muir wrote on Clover’s website that shifting the focus to brick-and-mortar locations will help the company be “more streamlined and more focused.”

The company says things actually began changing around 2014, when the trucks started being seen as more of a marketing tool than a driver of sales.

Advertisement

“I love trucks so much, it was how I started. But they add a lot of daily complexity,” Muir wrote.

Get The Weekender in your inbox:
The Globe's top picks for what to see and do each weekend, in Boston and beyond.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Clover’s Dewey Square truck will stop operating Aug. 7, and its Newbury Street truck has already closed, due to mechanical problems.

In October, city health inspectors suspended the license for one of Clover’s food trucks because it lacked running water. At the time, Muir blames an equipment malfunction.

The company said it does not plan to cut any jobs.

“I’m sure I’m not the only one who will feel mixed emotions about this move,” Muir wrote. “But I think it’s the right thing as we look forward to our future.”

Clover food truck at Dewey square park on the Greenway last month.
Barry Chin/Globe Staff
The Clover food truck at Dewey Square on Boston’s Greenway last month.

Reena Karasin can be reached at reena.karasin@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @reenakarasin.