|1||whole chicken (3½ to 4 pounds), giblets
|Grated rind and juice of 2 lemons|
|5||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh oregano|
|3||tablespoons olive oil|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
1. Salt the chicken liberally inside and out. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Set the oven at 475 degrees.
3. In a bowl, whisk the lemon rind and juice, garlic, oregano, olive oil, salt, and pepper into a loose paste.
4. Set the chicken in a roasting pan. Slide a hand between the skin and flesh of the breast and thigh areas. Spoon the lemon paste between the skin and flesh. Spoon some into the cavity.
5. Set the chicken on its back and roast for 30 minutes. Turn and roast for 20 minutes more or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 160 degrees. Total roasting time is 50 to 60 minutes. Let the chicken rest in a warm place for 5 minutes before cutting up. Fluto Shinzawa. Adapted from “The Zuni Cafe Cookbook”