In "The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook," author Deb Perelman includes a recipe for browned butter mashed potatoes following this one for meatballs, to serve with them. The potatoes are essentially a regular mash plus browned butter and buttermilk.
|4||teaspoons vegetable oil|
|¼||cup tomato paste|
|2||tablespoons cider vinegar|
|2||teaspoons Worcestershire sauce|
|1||tablespoon Dijon mustard|
1. In a saucepan, combine the oil, tomato paste, vinegar, honey, Worcestershire, mustard, and salt. Blend well.
2. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Set aside.
|2||slices sandwich bread, torn up|
|1||medium onion, coarsely chopped|
|1||clove garlic, coarsely chopped|
|1||medium stalk celery, coarsely chopped|
|1||medium carrot, coarsely chopped|
|About 2 tablespoons olive oil|
|1||teaspoon salt, and more to taste|
|Black pepper, to taste|
|2||pounds ground beef|
|1||tablespoon tomato paste|
|1||teaspoon smoked paprika|
|1||teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|2||tablespoons Worcestershire sauce|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Have on hand a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
2. In a food processor, pulse the bread into breadcrumbs. Transfer to a large bowl.
3. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrot to the processor and pulse until finely chopped.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom. Add the vegetable mixture, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until it begins to brown.
5. Transfer the vegetables to the breadcrumbs. Add the beef, tomato paste, paprika, mustard, and Worcestershire. Stir with a fork until thoroughly blended. With wet hands, form the mixture into 12 meatballs (each 3 inches).
6. In the baking dish, space meatballs so that they are not touching. Brush each one with a teaspoon or so of the tomato glaze. Bake for 20 minutes or until they are cooked through (an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a meatball will register 160 to 165 degrees). Serve with additional glaze. Adapted from "The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook"