Makes 3 dozen small cookies
|¼||cup whole unsalted
butter, at room
|¼||cup superfine sugar|
|Grated rind of 2 limes|
|Flour (for sprinkling)|
|¼||cup sparkling or sanding sugar|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, spread the pistachios in an even layer. Toast for 5 to 8 minutes, or until nuts are slightly brown.
2. In an electric mixer, beat the butter and superfine sugar until well blended. Add the lime rind and mix until incorporated. With the mixer set on its lowest speed, beat in the flour and salt just until blended. Mix in the pistachios.
3. On a lightly floured counter, knead the dough lightly into a ball. Divide into 2 pieces. Roll the pieces into 2 logs, each about 1½ inches in diameter, then roll them in the sparkling or sanding sugar and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until the dough is firm (if the dough is too hard, it will crack when sliced).
4. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the logs into ⅓-inch rounds and place on the baking sheet, about 1-inch apart.
5. Bake the cookies for 15 to 20 minutes, rotating the sheet halfway through baking, or until the edges are golden. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.