|1||medium onion, chopped|
|4||cloves garlic, chopped|
|1||package (16 ounces) frozen shelled edamame|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|½||cup water, or more if needed|
|4||tablespoons olive oil|
|½||teaspoon sumac, or more (for sprinkling)|
|2||tablespoons roasted, unsalted pistachios, coarsely chopped|
|1||tablespoon chopped fresh parsley|
1. Set the oven at 400 degrees.
2. In a baking pan, combine the onion, garlic, edamame, salt, and pepper. Squeeze the juice from 2 lemon halves over the mixture and toss well. Add the lemon pieces to the pan with ½ cup of water and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Toss again.
3. Roast the mixture for 30 minutes or until the edamame is lightly browned at the edges, adding more water to the pan, if needed. Set aside to cool.
4. Remove the remaining pulp from the roasted lemons. Discard any seeds and the lemon rinds.
5. In a food processor, work the edamame mixture with the remaining lemon juice for 1 minute. With the machine running, add ¼ cup of water and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Work the mixture until smooth, adding more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, if needed.
6. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if you like. Transfer to a bowl, smooth the top, and garnish with sumac, pistachios, and parsley.