|1||cup Greek yogurt|
|Juice of 2 lemons|
|2||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|1||shallot, finely chopped|
|1||tablespoon chopped fresh oregano|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh parsley|
|½||teaspoon ground turmeric|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1||boneless leg of lamb (about 5½ pounds), strings or netting removed|
1. In a bowl large enough to hold the lamb, combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, shallot, oregano, parsley, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
2. Trim excess fat from the lamb. Place it in the yogurt mixture. Using clean hands, rub the yogurt all over. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least several hours or for up to 1 day.
3. Set the oven at 450 degrees. Have on hand a roasting pan with a rack.
4. Set the leg in the pan, rolling it into the shape of a football. Use kitchen string to tie it 3 or 4 times so it holds together. Pour remaining marinade in the bowl over the meat.
5. Roast for 1½ hours or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 135 degrees for medium-rare. Let the meat sit in a warm place for 15 minutes before serving. Reserve 8 small slices of meat for the chickpea salad. Serve the rest with the couscous.