Recipe for chicken and sausages in red wine sauce
One of Red Sox broadcaster Don Orsillo’s favorite dishes is this chicken with sausages, new potatoes, and carrots, cooked in red wine for 1½ hours. Add a crusty loaf to soak up the cooking juices.
|7||red new potatoes, quartered|
|4||carrots, coarsely chopped|
|1||onion, coarsely chopped|
|4||cloves garlic, chopped|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|4||tablespoons olive oil|
|6||sweet Italian sausages|
|3||cups fruity red wine|
|1||teaspoon dried rosemary|
|1||teaspoon dried oregano|
|½||teaspoon dried basil|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Have on hand a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
2. Spread potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic in the dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. In 2 large, heavy skillets over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in each one. Add chicken to one pan and sausages to the other. Cook for 3 minutes, turn and cook 3 minutes more or until the chicken and sausages are browned.
4. Cut sausages into 1-inch chunks. Arrange chicken and sausage on the potato mixture. Pour pan drippings over meat and vegetables. Add red wine (it should just about cover the meat). Sprinkle with salt, pepper, rosemary, oregano, and basil.
5. Cook uncovered for 1½ hours, rotating pan halfway through cooking. Serve with the sauce in the dish spooned over the meat and vegetables. Adapted from Don Orsillo