Serves 4 with leftovers
|4½||pound whole chicken|
|Juice of 3 lemons (after squeezing lemons, save 1 rind)|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|4||bone-in chicken thighs|
|1||tablespoon chopped candied
|1||cup dried apricots|
|1||cup golden raisins or mixed
raisins and dried cranberries
|½||cup chicken stock|
|2||teaspoons ground ginger|
|2||teaspoons ground cumin|
|2||teaspoons ground coriander|
1. Set the oven at 375 degrees. Have on hand a flameproof casserole large enough to hold the poultry and fruits or a roasting pan.
2. In the cavity of the whole chicken, place the lemon rind and add a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper.
3. In the casserole or roasting pan, set the chicken, thighs, candied ginger, apricots, and raisins or mixed fruit. Sprinkle the mixture with lemon juice, honey, stock, ginger, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Cover the chicken with parchment paper that just fits inside the lid, and cover with the lid (or foil if using a roasting pan).
4. Cook the chicken for 1½ hours, basting several times with the juices in the pan. Lift off the lid and discard the parchment. Turn on the broiler. Slide the pan under the broiler and broil, watching it carefully (the fruits burn quickly) for 2 minutes or until the chicken is browned here and there.
5. Set the thighs aside for the sandwiches. Remove ½ cup fruits and liquid for the sandwiches. Cut up the chicken and set aside ½ breast for the sandwiches. Serve the remaining chicken with rice. Sheryl Julian