The flavors of this tender meat, marinated in a dry rub of paprika, pepper, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and allspice, meld in a low, slow oven; the meat is more succulent prepared a day in advance. If you do, slice the meat and reheat it in the sauce in a 300-degree oven for 30 minutes.
|1½||teaspoons ground sweet paprika|
|1||teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
|1||teaspoon ground coriander seeds|
|1||teaspoon ground cumin seeds|
|1||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|½||teaspoon ground allspice|
1. In a small bowl, combine the paprika, pepper, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and allspice.
2. Stir until blended.
|1||flat-cut brisket (3½ to 4 pounds)|
|Salt, to taste|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|2||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|2||large onions, halved and thinly sliced|
|6||carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch lengths|
|3||cups chicken stock|
|½||cup canned tomatoes, crushed in a bowl|
|½||cup pomegranate juice concentrate|
|Seeds from 1 pomegranate
or 1 cup pomegranate seeds
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh
1. Set the oven at 325 degrees. Sprinkle the brisket on both sides with salt. Set aside
1 tablespoon of the spice mix, and rub the remaining mixture over the brisket on both sides.
2. In a large, flameproof casserole, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the brisket and brown for 4 minutes on a side. Transfer to a platter.
3. Add the garlic, onions, and carrots to the pot and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon spice mix and cook 1 minute more.
4. Stir in the stock, tomatoes, and pomegranate concentrate. Bring to a boil. Return the brisket to the pot, cover, and transfer to the oven. Cook for 3½ hours. Remove the lid and continue cooking for 30 more minutes, or until the meat is tender but not falling apart. Total cooking time is 4 hours.
5. Transfer the meat to a cutting board and let rest for at least 20 minutes.
6. Skim the fat from the meat juices. If the juices seem thin, place the casserole on a medium-high burner and let it bubble steadily until it reduces enough to coat the back of a spoon.
7. Slice the brisket and set it on a platter with the carrots and onions. Spoon some sauce over the top, and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and parsley. Serve with the remaining sauce.
Sally Pasley Vargas