|5||tablespoons olive oil|
|3||tablespoons balsamic vinegar|
|3||tablespoons dry white wine|
|2||tablespoons Dijon mustard|
|2||teaspoons grated lemon rind|
|2||tablespoons lemon juice|
|2||tablespoons orange juice|
|2||tablespoons tomato paste|
|1||clove garlic, finely chopped|
|1||tablespoon chopped fresh thyme|
|1||tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary|
|1||tablespoon chopped fresh sage|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|2||bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves (about 1½ pounds total)|
|4||bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 1¼ pounds total)|
|½||small orange, thinly sliced into half-moons|
|6||carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces|
|8||baby yellow potatoes, halved|
|4||small yellow onions, quartered|
|Extra sprigs fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage (for garnish)|
1. In a large bowl that will hold all the chicken pieces, combine 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, the balsamic vinegar, wine, honey, mustard, lemon rind, lemon and orange juices, tomato paste, garlic, half the thyme, rosemary, and sage, and plenty of salt and pepper. Whisk thoroughly.
2. With a small knife, poke a few holes in each chicken piece. Add the chicken to the marinade with the orange slices. Toss well. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or for up to 24 hours.
3. Set the oven at 400 degrees. Remove chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before roasting.
4. In a bowl, toss the carrots, potatoes, and onions with salt, the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and the remaining chopped thyme, rosemary, and sage.
5. Transfer the chicken and orange slices to a roasting pan, reserving the marinade. Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with salt. Set it skin side up in the pan, arranging the vegetables around it (things will be very snug but shrink during cooking). Scrape the reserved marinade over the chicken and the vegetables, distributing it evenly.
6. Roast the chicken and vegetables for 30 minutes. Baste with the pan juices and continue roasting, basting every 10 minutes, for 35 minutes more, or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is golden. Total roasting time is 65 minutes.
7. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let it sit for 5 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, tipping the roasting pan with a potholder, spoon the fat off the cooking juices. Cut each breast in half. Transfer all the chicken pieces, vegetables, and orange slices to a warm platter. Spoon the cooking juices on top. Garnish with fresh herbs.
Adapted from “Fresh From the Farm”