|6||medium red beets, unpeeled, stems trimmed to ½-inch length|
|½||teaspoon ground cumin|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1||clove garlic, finely chopped|
|3||tablespoons chopped fresh parsley|
|3||tablespoons chopped fresh dill|
|3||tablespoons olive oil|
|1||tablespoon lemon juice, or more to taste|
1. Set the oven at 425 degrees.
2. Wrap the beets in foil individually, but not too tight, to make 6 packets. Place on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until the beets are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Unwrap the packets and cool the beets to room temperature.
3. Under cold running water, peel the skins from the beets.
4. In a food processor with the grating disk or the large holes of a box grater (wearing gloves if you don’t want to stain your fingers red), grate the beets into small, thin strips.
5. Transfer to a bowl. Add the cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, dill, oil, and lemon juice. Toss well. Taste for seasoning, and add more salt and lemon juice, if you like. Refrigerate for several hours or for up to a few days.
Adapted from Jerusalem Pita