Many people think the stars of the summer garden are tomatoes. Choose a variety of big and small for this dish, in red, yellow, orange, or whatever else you can find. Each has its own taste and will help make the finished dish beautiful, with a deeper, richer flavor. Layer the tomatoes in a dish with herb crumbs and goat cheese and bake until the crumbs turn golden.
-Olive oil (for the dish)
-2 slices white bread, or more if necessary, torn into pieces (1½ cups fresh crumbs)
-½ cup fresh parsley leaves
-Few sprigs each fresh rosemary and thyme, leaves removed
-Salt and black pepper, to taste
-¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
-2 pounds mixed tomatoes, cored and sliced
-½ teaspoon granulated sugar
-1 log (5 ounces) plain goat cheese,crumbled
-3 tablespoons olive oil
1. Set the oven at 400 degrees. Oil a deep 9-inch baking dish.
2. In a food processor pulse the bread to make coarse crumbs; transfer to a bowl.
3. Add the parsley, rosemary, and thyme to the food processor. Pulse them until coarsely chopped. Add to the breadcrumbs with salt, black pepper, and red pepper.
4. Place half the tomato slices in thebottom of the dish, overlapping to make them fit. Sprinkle the slices with ¼ teaspoon of the sugar. Add half the crumb mixture, then the goat cheese, then the remaining tomatoes. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top, leaving tomato slices exposed at the edges. Drizzle with the olive oil.
5. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until the top is golden and the mixture is bubbling at the edges.