In this fruit cobbler, a cake made with grated almond paste covers the apples. Almond paste, available in the baking aisle, is a combination of almonds and sugar. Grate it on the large holes of a hand-held grater or pinch it into small pieces with your fingers.
|Butter (for the dish)|
|5||medium baking apples (Cortland, Baldwin, Golden Delicious, Rome Beauty), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (6 cups)|
|1||tablespoon lemon juice|
|½||cup apple cider|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking dish.
2. In a bowl, combine the apples, sugar, lemon juice, and cider. Transfer to the baking dish.
|1¼||teaspoons baking powder|
|6||tablespoons unsalted butter, softened|
|3½||ounces almond paste, grated or pinched into small pieces|
|¾||teaspoon vanilla extract|
|⅓||cup whole milk|
1. In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt to blend them.
2. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, almond paste, and sugar until well blended. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract. With the mixer set on its lowest speed, blend in the flour mixture alternately with the milk. With a rubber spatula, spread the batter evenly over the apples.
3. Bake the cobbler for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center of the topping comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream.