Recipe for Passover matzo ‘lasagna’ with mushrooms and feta
You can make a mock lasagna for Passover using sheets of matzo instead of pasta. Soak the matzo for a couple of minutes in cold water, lift it out, and layer it with sauteed mushrooms and slices of creamy feta. Pour eggs and milk on top before baking. Sheets of matzo are typically 8-inch squares, though not all are perfectly square. Use three of the sheets for the layers in an 8-inch square dish, and use the fourth sheet to patch the edges so each sheet completely covers each layer. If you like, substitute ricotta for the feta. Mix 8 ounces part-skim ricotta with 1 egg and some of the fresh herbs.
|Olive oil (for the dish and sprinkling)|
|4||sheets plain matzo|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1||pound mushrooms (shiitake or button), thinly sliced|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1||cup whole milk|
|½||pound creamy feta, such as French or Bulgarian, thinly sliced|
|¼||cup chopped fresh thyme, lemon thyme,|
parsley, or dill
1. Oil an 8-inch-square baking dish.
2. In a small roasting pan that will hold the matzo without curling, stack the sheets. Add enough cold water to cover them. Set aside for 2 minutes, carefully moving the bottom pieces to the top, if necessary, so they are all evenly moistened. Lift the sheets from the water and transfer to a plate.
3. In a skillet over medium heat, heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until the mushrooms release their liquid and the liquid evaporates. Set aside to cool.
4. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
5. In the baking dish, set 1 sheet of matzo. Use another sheet to add a strip at the edge, if necessary, so the first sheet completely covers the bottom of the dish. Lay the feta on the matzo and sprinkle with fresh herbs. Pour enough of the egg mixture into the dish to cover the feta.
6. Add another sheet of matzo and use the extra sheet to patch the edge, if necessary. Spread the mushrooms on the matzo and sprinkle with herbs. Pour more egg mixture onto the mushrooms. Set the remaining sheet of matzo on top. Pour the remaining egg mixture on the top sheet. Use your hand to press the sheets so they’re just covered with egg. Let the dish sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
7. Set the oven at 350 degrees.
8. Sprinkle the top matzo sheet with olive oil. Bake the lasagna for 45 minutes or until the egg mixture is set. Remove from the oven and let the dish settle for 5 minutes.
9. Make 2 cuts in each direction to form 9 small squares. Sprinkle with the remaining fresh herbs.