|1||tablespoon olive oil|
|1||cup long-grain brown rice|
|Pinch of salt|
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes, or until the grains are aromatic and start to turn white.
2. Carefully pour in the water (it will splutter) with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cover the pan. Simmer for 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender and has absorbed the liquid in the pan. Do not open the pan during cooking. Continue cooking for a few minutes if necessary.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside for 10 minutes.
4. Turn the rice out onto a baking dish and spread it out. Let it sit until warm.
DRESSING AND VEGETABLES
|3||tablespoons rice vinegar|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|5||tablespoons olive oil|
|1||large carrot, shredded|
|¼||red onion, cut into fine matchsticks|
|1||stalk celery, halved lengthwise and very finely sliced|
|3||radishes, very thinly sliced|
|½||cup mixed dark and golden raisins|
|¼||pound green beans, trimmed|
|¼||cup chopped fresh parsley|
|½||cup roasted unsalted almonds|
1. In a bowl, whisk the rice vinegar, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in the olive oil.
2. Add half the dressing to the brown rice, stir well, and leave to cool completely.
3. In a large bowl, combine the carrot, onion, celery, radishes, raisins, and remaining dressing. Toss gently. Set aside for 15 minutes.
4. In a saucepan fitted with a steamer insert and several inches of boiling water, steam the green beans, covered, for 3 minutes or until almost tender and bright green. Rinse with cold water until cool. Dry with paper towels.
5. Add the rice to the bowl of vegetables with the green beans, parsley, and almonds. Toss well. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if you like.