Karoline Boehm Goodnick for The Boston Globe
Butter beans are green or white limas, which are canned and make a good, quick hummus. (American cooks in the South and British cooks both refer to limas as butter beans.) Here, hummus forms the base for cauliflower and whole shallots that are roasted with red pepper, allspice, ginger, cumin, and paprika. While they cook, make the hummus, then assemble the plates with the vegetables and a drizzle of the spicy oil from the bottom of the baking dish. It’s an inexpensive, flavorful, and easy vegetarian supper.
|1||head cauliflower, trimmed and quartered|
|4||small shallots, peeled and trimmed|
|¼||teaspoon crushed red pepper|
|½||teaspoon ground allspice|
|1||teaspoon ground ginger|
|1||teaspoon ground cumin|
|1||tablespoon smoked (or regular) paprika|
|⅓||cup olive oil|
1. Set the oven at 450 degrees. Have on hand a 10-inch baking dish.
2. Place the cauliflower quarters and shallots in the dish.
3. In a large bowl, combine the red pepper, allspice, ginger, cumin, paprika, salt, and olive oil. Stir to make a loose paste. Roll the cauliflower and shallots in the spice mixture until they are coated all over. Transfer the vegetables to the baking dish and scrape any spice mixture from the bowl over the vegetables.
4. Roast for 35 minutes, turning several times, or until cauliflower and shallots are tender when pierced with a skewer. The cauliflower will crisp on the outside.
|2||cans (about 15 ounces each) butter beans (or lima beans), drained|
|2||cloves garlic, roughly chopped|
|Juice of 1 lemon, or more to taste|
|⅓||cup tahini, or more to taste|
|½||cup olive oil|
|2||tablespoons cold water|
|Salt, to taste|
|¼||cup chopped fresh parsley|
|Extra olive oil (for sprinkling)|
1. In a food processor, combine the beans, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, water, and salt. Work until smooth. Add 3 tablespoons of the parsley and pulse to blend it in. Taste for seasoning and add more lemon juice, tahini, or salt, if you like.
2. Spoon the hummus onto 4 dinner plates, smoothing it with the back of a spoon. Set a piece of cauliflower and one of the shallots on top. Drizzle with the spiced oil from the baking dish and more fresh olive oil. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley. Luke Pyenson
People magazine reports that Kick Kennedy, a model, had been dating banking heir Matthew Mellon for four months.Continue reading »
The unveiling at Dorchester’s South Bay Center featured matriarch Alma Wahlberg and sons Donnie, Paul, and Bob. Mark made an appearance via FaceTime.Continue reading »
I was blown away by the first hours of the new season, which are so gripping that my blood pressure rose right along with my admiration for everyone behind this series.Continue reading »
If there is a change, or a tilt, or whatever you care to call it happening in Woburn, it can all be traced back to when Ran Duan opened the Baldwin Bar inside his family’s Chinese restaurant in 2010.Continue reading »
Some educators maintain that smartphones in schools are crucial to being competitive in a global market, while others insist they distract students.Continue reading »
When my parents tried to sell their timeshare, they realized it was worthless. They couldn’t even give it back to the resort. And the bills kept coming.Continue reading »
They suffer from feelings of hopelessness, depression, and other psychiatric disorders two to three times more than the general population.Continue reading »
The Sky Bar is the perfect confection for our times, and soon it may be gone.Continue reading »
Could a retail chain come close to recreating the sublime crunchy-sweet confection that is a churro ?Continue reading »