Patti Woods for the Boston Globe
Makes one 9-inch pie
Looking for an apple pie that’s not overly sweet or overwhelmed with spices? By using an apple cider reduction in place of some of the traditional white sugar, this recipe allows the flavors of the heirloom apples to shine through.
|½||cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cut up|
|3||tablespoons shortening, frozen and cut up|
|⅓||cup cold water mixed with ¼ teaspoon white vinegar|
|Extra flour (for sprinkling)|
1. Place flour, butter, shortening, and salt in a bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut butter and shortening into flour until mixture has the consistency of small pea-size pieces. Toss by hand with water/vinegar mixture just until it holds together.
2. Divide dough into two pieces. Shape each piece into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill at least 2 hours, preferably overnight before rolling out.
3. Flour surface. Roll out one piece of dough to a 13-inch circle, rotating ¼ turn after each roll. Fold it in half and ease it into the pie pan. It should hang over the rim by at least 1 inch. Refrigerate the pan.
4. Roll out the second piece of dough in the same manner. Place on a piece of parchment paper and refrigerate it while you make the filling.
|1||cup apple cider|
|1||tablespoon unsalted butter, cut up|
|1||tablespoon heavy cream|
|1||tablespoon coarse sugar|
1. Set the oven at 400 degrees.
2. In a medium saucepan, simmer apple cider about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is syrupy. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Peel, quarter, and slice apples into ¼-inch slices.
4. Mix sugar and flour together. Add sugar and flour mixture to sliced apples, then drizzle apple cider reduction and stir until blended.
5. Place half of apple filling into bottom crust. Scatter butter over apples. Place remaining filling in crust. Place top crust over filling.
6. With scissors, trim edges of dough so there is ½ inch of overhang. Fold edges under and flute by pinching thumb and forefinger of one hand pressed against the finger tip of the other hand all around the crust. Cut four slits into top.
7. Brush top with heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
8. Place pie on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Check pie and reduce temperature to 350 degrees. Bake 20-30 minutes more until filling bubbles in center. Remove pie from oven and cool 15 minutes before slicing. Adapted from Laurel Johnson
People magazine reports that Kick Kennedy, a model, had been dating banking heir Matthew Mellon for four months.Continue reading »
I was blown away by the first hours of the new season, which are so gripping that my blood pressure rose right along with my admiration for everyone behind this series.Continue reading »
If there is a change, or a tilt, or whatever you care to call it happening in Woburn, it can all be traced back to when Ran Duan opened the Baldwin Bar inside his family’s Chinese restaurant in 2010.Continue reading »
The unveiling at Dorchester’s South Bay Center featured matriarch Alma Wahlberg and sons Donnie, Paul, and Bob. Mark made an appearance via FaceTime.Continue reading »
Even before it’s opened, the made-in-Massachusetts movie is being panned by some people who don’t like the idea behind it.Continue reading »
The Sky Bar is the perfect confection for our times, and soon it may be gone.Continue reading »
Some educators maintain that smartphones in schools are crucial to being competitive in a global market, while others insist they distract students.Continue reading »
When my parents tried to sell their timeshare, they realized it was worthless. They couldn’t even give it back to the resort. And the bills kept coming.Continue reading »
The experience of sleeping 16.4 feet below sea level can be yours — beginning at $50,000 per night before taxes.Continue reading »