Lane Turner/Globe Staff
Makes one 9-inch loaf
This loaf is vegan. If you’d like to make a glaze, take 1 more ripe banana, mash, and combine with ½ cup confectioners’ sugar. Drizzle over the warm bread before slicing.
|Cooking spray (for the pan)|
|3||very ripe bananas, mashed well|
|1||cup nut or grain milk|
|½||cup melted coconut oil|
|1||cup organic pure cane sugar or granulated sugar|
|1||tablespoon vanilla extract|
|2||cups white whole wheat flour or spelt flour|
|2||teaspoons baking powder|
|½||teaspoon baking soda|
|1||teaspoon activated food-grade charcoal powder, for color
|¼||cup cacao nibs, plus more for sprinkling (optional)|
1. Set the oven at 400 degrees. Position a rack in the upper middle of the oven. Spray a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Line it horizontally with a 4-inch-wide strip of parchment paper, allowing a 2-inch overhang on each side.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the bananas, nut or grain milk, coconut oil, sugar, and vanilla until combined.
3. Into a separate bowl, sift the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and charcoal powder (if using). Into the bowl with the banana mixture, add the flour mixture and cacao nibs. Fold until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
4. Scoop the mixture into the loaf pan and gently smooth the top. Sprinkle with more cacao nibs and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Let bread cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from the pan. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for another 10 minutes, then slice and serve with nut butter or other favorite toppings.
Adapted from “Black Girl Baking”
She is leaving WBZ and heading to NBC10 Boston and NECN.Continue reading »
When he first kissed her she could feel he was shaking a little. She asked if he was OK and he told her he’s never kissed anyone before.Continue reading »
It’s been more than 23 years since Acton native Steve Carell and his wife, Nancy Carell, exchanged vows back in August 1995. But the actor remembers their wedding like it was yesterday.Continue reading »
It turns out millenials take more vacations than older generations, like cruises, and aren’t opposed to using travel agents to plan their adventures.Continue reading »
“There Will Be No Intermission” is Palmer’s first solo studio album in six years.Continue reading »
For a satisfying vegetarian dinner, cook rice and quinoa together, then layer them in a bowl with chickpeas, grated carrots, radishes, and tahini sauce.Continue reading »
Five tips for trying to get into the New Yorker.Continue reading »
Here are some of Globe Sports editor Matt Pepin’s classic Ski Dad moves, gleaned from years of watching other ski fathers and becoming one himself.Continue reading »
Experts say that sometimes it really is best to avoid tense conversations altogether. But if that’s not possible, try to first bite your tongue and open your ears.Continue reading »