A silky, cheddar custard in this crustless quiche envelops spinach, bell peppers, and onions and will make you wonder why you ever bothered to make pie pastry. Eggs, extra yolks, and heavy cream account for the luscious, rich, and creamy texture. The quiche is quick to prepare and is a good recipe for a brunch or light supper. Serve it with a green salad. You are so elegant.
|Butter (for the pan)|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|½||large red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced|
|½||red onion, thinly sliced|
|8||ounces baby spinach, tough stems|
|1½||cups grated cheddar (about 7 ounces)|
|2||eggs plus 3 extra yolks|
|⅛||teaspoon black pepper|
|1½||cups heavy cream|
1. Center a rack in the middle of the oven. Set the oven at 375 degrees. Butter a 9-inch round ceramic baking dish or pie pan. Have on hand a baking sheet and a large strainer.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes, or until the pepper and onion are softened. With a slotted spoon, transfer them to the baking dish, spreading them in one layer.
3. Add the spinach to the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or just until wilted. If the pan is dry, add 1 tablespoon of water. Set a large strainer over a bowl and transfer the spinach to the strainer. Cool briefly and press out excess moisture with the back of a spoon. Spread the spinach on top of the onion mixture.
4. Set aside ½ cup of the grated cheddar for the top of the pie. Spread the remaining 1¼ cups of cheese over the vegetables. Set the dish on a baking sheet.
5. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, yolks, salt, and pepper until blended. Whisk in the cream. Pour the cream mixture over the filling and sprinkle with the reserved ½ cup cheese.
6. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake the quiche for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and the center puffs but is still slightly wobbly.
7. Set the baking dish on a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Sally Pasley Vargas
Sally Pasley Vargas can be reached at email@example.com.