Recipe: Green apple and almonds are tossed with cabbage and mint dressing in this spin on slaw
Crisp, crunchy, fresh, and bright, this green apple and cabbage slaw is tossed with briny feta, toasty almonds, and a minty-sweet vinaigrette. Shred the cabbage with a hand-held slicer or long chef’s knife and cut the apple just before adding to the salad to prevent it from browning. You need a whole bunch of mint — most for the dressing, the rest for adding to the bowl. Serve as an appetizer, dress it up with grilled salmon or chicken for a refreshing main course (for four), or pile it on your favorite tacos for a fun spin on slaw.
|1||teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|Juice of 1 lemon|
|¼||teaspoon salt, or more to taste|
|½||cup olive oil|
|¾||bunch fresh mint|
1. In a blender, combine the honey, mustard, lemon juice, and salt. Pulse for 30 seconds.
2. While the machine is running, remove the insert in the cap and slowly drizzle in the olive oil; blend until emulsified.
3. Add the mint and pulse about 15 times, or until the leaves have broken down, but flecks remain visible.
4. Transfer to a bowl. Taste for seasoning and add more salt, if you like (the feta will add a salty note).
|1||small head green cabbage, quartered and thinly shredded|
|¼||bunch fresh mint, leaves torn|
|⅔||cup roasted, unsalted almonds, chopped|
|1||Granny Smith apple, cored, seeded, and cut into thin slices|
|4||ounces feta, crumbled|
1. In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, all but 1 tablespoon of the mint, almonds, and dressing. Toss well.
2. In a small bowl, toss the apple and salt. Add to the cabbage mixture and toss again. Garnish with the feta and remaining mint. Michelle-Marie Gilkeson