It’s off to treatment, or something, for Kevin Spacey.
A rep for the 58-year-old “House of Cards” actor says he’s taking a break in the aftermath of allegations that he sexually assaulted a 14-year-old actor many years ago.
“Kevin Spacey is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment,” the rep said in a statement. “No other information will be available at this time.”
The announcement comes after actor Anthony Rapp claimed that Spacey made an inappropriate sexual overture toward him at a party in New York in the mid-1980s. At the time, Spacey was 26 and Rapp was 14.
Spacey’s initial response to Rapp’s allegation was widely criticized. He tweeted that he’s “beyond horrified to hear [Rapp’s] story. . . . I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago. But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.”
He went on to state publicly that he’s gay, which is irrelevant to Rapp’s allegation.
In the days since, others have come forward to talk about their alleged experiences with Spacey. Filmmaker Tony Montana told Radar Online that Spacey had once “grabbed [his] whole package” at an LA bar, and then followed Montana into a restroom.
“I backed him out the door and I pushed him,” Montana said. “One of his friends was in line and I said, ‘It’s time to take your boy home.’ They ended up leaving.”
Mexican actor Roberto Cavazos, who performed at London’s Old Vic theater when Spacey was the artistic director, wrote on Facebook that Spacey was known to like young male actors at the theater.
“It seems the only requirement was to be a male under the age of 30 for Mr. Spacey to feel free to touch us,” Cavazos wrote, adding that he’d had “a couple of nasty encounters” with the actor. “In fact, if I had been a woman, I probably wouldn’t have hesitated to identify [them] as such.”
Thursday, Vulture.com published a Q&A with a man who says he had a consensual sexual relationship with Spacey beginning when he was 14 and Spacey was 24. It ended with what the man, who’s now 48, describes as an attempted rape. The man wants to remain anonymous.
“I have worked really hard to have a nice life and feel safe, and I’m not giving that up for him,” the man said. “I don’t want them to be able to find their way back to me.”
Netflix has shut down production of “House of Cards,” which had been filming its sixth and final season.