This hot-weather medley is a game changer to the eyes and palate. I roasted and chilled the squash and beets a day ahead to make it a snap to toss together. It comes courtesy of Catalyst’s Chef de Cuisine Justin Urso.
Makes 4 servings
|3||candy striped beets|
|1||cup cherry tomatoes|
1. Set the oven to 325 degrees and lightly coat 2 pans with olive oil. Roast the pattypan squash and beets in separate pans for 45 minutes. When cool, peel and cut each in half.
2. In a saucepan of boiling water, blanch the zucchini for 2 minutes. When cool, cut off stems and cut the zucchini into thirds on the bias.
3. Wash and dry the tomatoes, cucumber, radish, and peppercress. Slice tomatoes in half. Slice cucumber into thin rounds. Shave and thinly slice the radishes.
|1||tablespoon Dijon mustard|
|½||cup lemon juice|
|1½||cup olive oil|
|Salt to taste|
1. Dice the shallot and chop the tarragon.
2. Combine honey, Dijon, shallots, and lemon juice in a blender, slowly adding olive oil. Once emulsified, season with salt and fold in the tarragon.
|¼||cup grated Parmesan cheese|
|1||lemon’s juice and zest|
|¾||cup olive oil|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
1. Combine all ingredients in blender until well combined and smooth.
1. Mix all vegetables except the peppercress and radishes with vinaigrette.
2. Spread a spoonful of basil pistou on the bottom of each plate. Top with the dressed vegetables and spoon more pistou on top.
3. Lightly dress the peppercress in a bowl with olive oil and salt to taste. Use it to garnish the vegetables and top with radish slices.