Here’s a warm thought to get you thinking ahead on this raw day: Two New England beaches — Coast Guard Beach in Eastham and Weirs Beach on New Hampshire’s Lake Winnipesaukee — have made Family Vacation Critic’s annual list of the top 10 US beaches for families, released Tuesday.
“Beach vacations are at the top of so many families’ must-do lists throughout the year,” said Lissa Poirot, editor in chief of Family Vacation Critic, TripAdvisor’s family travel site. “Our list aims to help families narrow down the options.” Every beach has lifeguards, in addition to kid-friendly activities.
Coast Guard Beach is cited for its “beautiful, clean stretch of soft sand and calm waters, plus the convenience of seasonal lifeguards and restrooms.” Lighthouses, ice cream, and great seafood restaurants add to the appeal.
Weirs Beach’s draw is that it “transports families to the beach vacations of yesteryear.”
“Today’s families can expect the true simplicity of budget, family-style accommodations, classic boardwalk fun, and a beach like no other,” Family Vacation Critic noted. “The beach is staffed with lifeguards, and a playground at Endicott Rock is available for little ones. When the sun goes down, head to Weirs Drive-in Theater for a double feature.”
The other family friendly beaches worth checking out?
• Long Beach Island in Long Beach, N.J.
• Ponce Inlet in Ponce Inlet, Fla.
• Jones Beach State Park in Wantagh, N.Y.
• Rehoboth Beach in Rehoboth Beach, Del.
• Coronado Beach in Coronado, Calif.
• Balboa Beach in Newport Beach, Calif.
• North Beach Park in Racine, Wis.
• Seaside Beach in Seaside, Ore.Chris Morris can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.