Most Popular Weeks for Spring Break in the US
1. March 15-21
2. March 8-14
3. March 22-28
The Top 10 spring break destinations for 2015, according to Orbitz.com booking data:
1. Las Vegas — One reason for Sin City’s popularity? A hotel room is only $115, on average.
2. Cancun — The perennial favorite is also Number 6 on U.S. News & World Report’s recent list of best budget spring break destinations.
3. Orlando — The Villas of Grand Cypress here recently made TripAdvisor’s list of top 10 hotels in the US, but its $387 per night average would bust most student budgets.
4. Punta Cana — This Dominican Republic resort area takes its name from the dry palm leaves used on many roofs.
5. New York City — Wait. College students realize it’s still winter, right?
6. New Orleans — Airfare to the Big Easy ($362, on average) has dropped 11 percent in the past year, more than to any other destination on the Orbitz list.
7. Chicago — The best overall value on the list, with the second lowest room average ($166) and the lowest average plane ticket ($271).
8. Miami Beach — Average March high temperature: 76 degrees
9. Playa Del Carmen — Number 10 on the U.S. News list, where it’s described as more down to earth (read: less crazy) than Cancun
10. Riviera Maya — Replaced San Juan on this year’s list
$1,000 or less — The spring break budget for 7 out of 10 college students this year
7 — Number of students who will squeeze into one room, say 12% of survey respondents
48 hours — Length of time 8 percent of students have stayed awake during spring break
64% — Percentage of travelers who “purposely avoid student destinations”
Sources: Orbitz.com; U.S. News & World Report; NYTimes.com; TripAdvisor.com; Weather.com