"Master bedrooms should absolutely be a sanctuary," says Sharon-based interior designer Shari Pellows, who designed this space in a Westwood farmhouse for a couple with a young family. Dark original woodwork made the room feel heavy, so Pellows lightened it up with bright white paint. A palette of soft blues, creamy whites, and pale lavender exudes a soothing vibe. Gold and bronze hardware and accents add richness and warmth to the space while multiple textural elements provide dimension. The room is both light and enveloping. It's a place to recharge and replenish after a long day, she says — just what her clients were looking for.
1. The existing built-in dresser was revived with a fresh coat of creamy white paint and brass drawer pulls.
2. A Hines & Co. grass-cloth wallcovering has a light lilac hue. "The lilac is grayed out," Pellows says, "so it's subtle rather than overpowering."
3. Sheer linen drapes are made of a soft blue and purple printed fabric by Zimmer + Rohde. Lucite curtain rods have bronze finials that "have a transitional feel that adds a little sparkle to the room," Pellows says.
4. A custom fully upholstered bed by Duralee has a striking tufted headboard. The ultra-supple linens are by Sferra. Embroidered throw pillows by Zimmer + Rohde add another textural component.
5. Night stands carry on the hue of the built-in dresser. The tassels on the drawer pulls match the bed's headboard and frame.
6. The wool rug has a Greek key pattern in a subtle purple against a cream background.
7. The drawers of the small dresser by Selamat Designs are faced with rattan, which offers an appealing juxtaposition with the wood base.
8. Framed with inlaid bone in a gentle, creamy hue, the mirror adds flair with its interesting shape.
9. A lamp has a ceramic base in a darker shade of purple.
10. A new throw pillow with stripes in various shades of purple revives a tufted slipper chair that already belonged to the homeowners.
11. An animal hide rug from Steven King was a score. "It's very hard to find a hide in that clear, beautiful white cream color," Pellows says.