Jury sees horrific photos of massacre

Trial of 2 defendants may soon go to them

Charles Salemi, the lab supervisor of a drug analysis lab, held an evidence bag while testifying Friday during the trial for a quadruple murder in Mattapan held at Suffolk Superior Court in Boston.
Aram Boghosian for The Boston Globe
Charles Salemi, the lab supervisor of a drug analysis lab, held an evidence bag while testifying Friday during the trial for a quadruple murder in Mattapan held at Suffolk Superior Court in Boston.

Delphus Martin took long breaths Friday as he sat inside a Suffolk Superior Courtroom viewing photograph after photograph of his son’s bullet-riddled body displayed.

“Those were very nasty photographs I saw today, and it really hurts deep as a father to see that,’’ said Martin, who has been a fixture in the gallery seats inside Courtroom 808 since the start of the Mattapan quadruple murder trial three weeks ago.

Martin’s son, Simba Martin, 21, was one of the four people fatally shot on a Mattapan street the morning of Sept. 28, 2010. Edward Washington, 36, and Dwayne Moore, 34, each face four counts of first-degree murder in their deaths and the attempted murder of Marcus Hurd, who was left paralyzed from a gunshot wound to the back of his head.


“I just want justice served,’’ Martin said as he walked outside the courthouse. “My son had some problems, but he didn’t deserve this.’’

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

In what was probably the last full day of testimony Friday, a man who lived across the street from the scene of the killings on Woolson Street described waking up and seeing from his bedroom window a dreadlocked man in a baseball cap, the first such disclosure in the trial. He was followed by two medical examiners who showed dozens of graphic autopsy photographs of the victims’ bodies, with entry and exit wounds magnified.

The relatives had been cautioned at the start of the day by Judge Christine McEvoy about the nature of the exhibits, but like Martin, most chose to stay.

Simba Martin was shot six times, with a bullet hitting his lung and heart.

Levaughn Washum-Garrison, 22, was shot once, the bullet also hitting the same vital organs.


Eyanna Flonory, 21, was shot in the head, the bullet piercing her brain, and in the back of both hands. Flonory’s 2-year-old son, Amanihotep Smith, was struck on the side of his torso and in his lower arm and probably died of blood loss.

Flonory, who was Simba Martin’s girlfriend, probably died in seconds; he and Washum-Garrison probably died in minutes, the examiners testified.

Smith, who authorities say was wriggling in an attempt to break free from his dead mother’s embrace, was rushed to Brigham and Women’s Hospital, where he was pronounced dead several hours later.

McEvoy told jurors they should expect to begin deliberating Tuesday. They face the prospect of wrestling with conflicting testimony.

The witness who said he saw some of what transpired that night, James Jones, testified Friday that he was awakened by a barrage of gunfire that sounded as if a cannon had been fired. He said he looked out the window of his second-floor bedroom and saw a stocky man with dreadlocks wearing a baseball cap standing near a silver-colored car stopped at the intersection of Wildwood and Woolson streets, a nude body lying nearby.


The man got into the front passenger’s seat, and the car drove the wrong way on Wildwood Street, Jones said.

He said his attention was then diverted to a tall, bald, black man running toward the body, from the direction the car had traveled. The man, wearing dark slacks and what appeared to be dark dress shoes, crouched down over the body and pumped at least one shot into the victim’s forehead.

As he described the moment, Jones raised his right index finder to his temple.

Jones said that the gunman then pulled his jacket over his head as he ran down Woolson Street toward Blue Hill Avenue.

Jones said authorities arrived soon after, and that is when he noticed another victim near the bushes, with a hand twitching.

“I went to my wife and told her I just saw someone get shot,’’ Jones testified.

Jones said he did not immediately go to police, but called an anonymous tip line in the following days.

Jones’ description of the assailants differs from that of Hurd, who testified Wednesday from his wheelchair that the gunmen had hoodies on and their faces appeared to be obscured by ski masks.

Hurd said he was shot in the back of the head by a tall man with a firearm that looked like a machine gun.

At the end of the day, after jurors had left the courtroom, Washington and his attorney John Cunha shared an embrace, smiles on their faces, before court officers escorted the defendant from the courtroom.

Washington and Moore have pleaded not guilty to all charges. Their lawyers have told jurors the wrong men are on trial.

The state’s key witness, Kimani Washington, has testified that he and the two defendants had planned to rob Simba Martin of cash and money and that he left the scene before the killings took place.

Authorities also announced Friday that Dennis Jones, 45, of Boston had been indicted by a Suffolk County grand jury on a charge of witness intimidation and disrupting a court proceeding by standing up during the proceedings on Feb. 22 and yelling “rat’’ and “snitch’’ at Kimani Washington as he testified.

Brian R. Ballou can be reached at