Remains found on Cape are pregnant woman’s

Shot several times, evidence reveals

Trudie Hall’s remains were found nearly two years after she was reported missing.
handout/File 2010
Trudie Hall’s remains were found nearly two years after she was reported missing.

BARNSTABLE - The discovery of Trudie Hall’s remains has provided authorities with new evidence in their two-year quest to find her killer.

“Though Trudie will never speak again, by finding her she has told us much,’’ Michael O’Keefe, Cape & Islands district attorney, said during a press conference Tuesday announcing the identification of the skeletal remains found Thursday. “Among other things, she has told us how many times she was shot and with what kind of bullets.’’

Hall, 23, a certified nursing assistant from Nantucket, was four months pregnant when her mother reported her missing on July 28, 2010.


A day later, police found the car she had rented, a 2009 Toyota Avalon, in a commuter parking lot in West Barnstable. Investigators found blood and bullet casings inside, prompting them to classify the case as a homicide.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Authorities searched hundreds of acres of woods in the weeks that followed, including the vicinity where a man walking his dog Thursday found Hall’s remains in a wooded area off Hayway Road in Falmouth.

The remains were identified using forensic techniques, including the matching of dental records, O’Keefe said.

“In the fullness of time, this case will be resolved, and the persons or person involved in Trudie’s death will be brought to justice,’’ he said.

“I’m just relieved that they found my daughter,’’ Vivienne Walker, mother of the victim, said in a telephone interview several hours after the press conference.


“For my entire family, this has been a living hell,’’ she said. “There were so many times that I parked my car with the lights pointing in the forest, going into the bushes myself to look for my pregnant daughter. It’s been so awful; no parent should have to go through this.’’

Walker said the toll on her family includes the death of her mother, who suffered a stroke. She said her daughter’s homicide is the first violent death in her family’s history.

She also said that Hall had worn a “Juicy Couture’’ necklace and a gold bracelet that her father bought her in 2004, items she said were found near her daughter’s remains.

Hall grew up with her mother and stepfather and a close-knit church community on Nantucket, after moving there from Jamaica at the age of 13.

She traveled to Cape Cod often and had made the trip prior to her disappearance for a doctor’s appointment. She was staying in a motel in West Yarmouth and told her mother July 27 that she was going to the movies and would contact her afterward. But she never did.


Authorities had questioned numerous people, including Quoizel Wilson, Hall’s boyfriend and the father of the baby, but he was never arrested or charged in connection with the case.

Robert Galibois, Wilson’s attorney, said Tuesday that his client has been thoroughly investigated and that materials belonging to him were taken from his house by authorities and scrutinized.

“Mr. Wilson maintains his vehement denial of any wrongdoing in regard to the tragic circumstances of Ms. Hall’s death,’’ Galibois said.

He said that his client was on probation for an unrelated charge, yet prosecutors never found him in violation of his probation.

“Mr. Wilson has remained in this same area the entire time,’’ Galibois said.

Asked if there were any suspects in the case, O’Keefe said he did not like the term “suspects,’’ but said that police had been questioning people all along.

He also said, “There may be a possibility that someone knowingly or unknowingly aided . . . after the fact.’’

The district attorney said police know the number of times Hall had been shot and the caliber of the bullets, but he would not disclose that information.

When asked during the press conference if he would seek two homicide charges to account for mother and child, O’Keefe said that that is a possibility, but that a decision would have to be made after investigators talk with people who handled the victim’s prenatal care.

Walker responded to the same question.

“I think that whoever did this should face two counts of first-degree murder, because my grandson was moving,’’ she said. “All I have now are the ultrasound pictures.’’

Milton J. Valencia of the Globe staff contributed to this report. Brian Ballou can be reached at