Lowell man wanted in alleged beating is apprehended

A Lowell man wanted on charges of beating and trying to strangle a woman in her Cambridge apartment Oct. 21 was captured by State Police Monday on Interstate 495 in Chelmsford, officials said.

Since the assault, Glynn John was the target of a manhunt by the Massachusetts Fugitive Task Force, which is composed of local police and the US Marshals Service and currently includes a ­Cambridge police detective.

Cambridge police, in a report, said the 28-year-old John was responsible for a violent attack on a woman inside a Newtowne Court apartment building Oct. 21. According to the report, officers ­responded around 7 p.m. and, as soon as they stepped inside the building, they heard a woman screaming in pain and saw a man drag the woman up a stairwell landing.


The officers were allowed inside the apartment moments later by a woman “covered with blood,’’ ­police said. The woman identified John as her attacker, police said.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Following a trail of blood on the stairwell, officers raced through the building but John escaped, possibly by jumping out a third-floor window, according to police.

Officers later interviewed the unidentified victim, who said she knew John and had let him sleep in her apartment in the past.

She said that he has been physically abusive toward her and that they have never been romantically involved, Cambridge police said.

The woman said that on Oct. 21 John accused her of telling a mutual acquaintance that he stole her bicycle and had beaten her. John allegedly ordered the woman not to leave her apartment, as a relative was on his way to the apartment to beat her.


In the meantime, police said, John punched the woman and put his hands around her neck, leaving visible marks on her throat. He also pointed a black handgun at her, police said.

On Monday, Fugitive Task Force investigators tracked John to Tewksbury. He got into a car and was stopped by troopers on I-495 in Chelmsford, State Police said. He jumped out of the vehicle but was quickly arrested, State Police said.

John is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in Cambridge District Court.

Sarah N. Mattero can be reached at John R. Ellement can be reached at