You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

No one was forced out, Patrick says

Governor Deval Patrick said that he had asked members of his Cabinet to commit to serve for two years or leave the administration in order to maintain continuity. Among those leaving is Health and Human Services Secretary JudyAnn Bigby, who appeared alongside Patrick at the State House news conference with her replacement, John Polanowicz

David L. Ryan/Globe Staff

Governor Deval Patrick said that he had asked members of his Cabinet to commit to serve for two years or leave the administration in order to maintain continuity. Among those leaving is Health and Human Services Secretary JudyAnn Bigby, who appeared alongside Patrick at the State House news conference with her replacement, John Polanowicz

Governor Deval Patrick Thursday strongly denied he was forcing any of his departing four Cabinet secretaries to leave, including two who have been caught up in recent controversies.

At a State House press conference where both the current and incoming secretaries appeared, ­Patrick said that in an effort to prevent his administration from falling into a lame duck malaise, he had asked all his secretaries to give him a two-year commitment or to leave.

Continue reading below

He heaped praise on each of the departing secretaries and brushed off suggestions that any of them were departing because of a spate of bad publicity that has hit his administration.

He particularly pushed back when asked whether Secretary of Health and Human Services JudyAnn Bigby was being forced out because of her responses to two major controversies on her watch.

In one scandal, a chemist at a drug lab run by the Department of Public Health allegedly mishandled drug evidence, throwing thousands of cases into jeopardy. In another scandal, a compounding pharmacy in Framingham whose regulation was overseen by the same department has been blamed for a deadly meningitis outbreak.

“There’s going to be, in large organizations, things that go wrong . . . and the leaders who matter and the ones who succeed, just like each of these, are the ones who step up and fix things that go wrong,’’ Patrick said.

Patrick again took responsibility for the patronage hiring of Sheila Burgess as the state’s highway safety director, despite Burgess’s lack of experience and a driving record full of crashes and speeding tickets.

Burgess resigned last month after the Globe broke news of her driving background. The Globe has reported that Public Safety Secretary Mary Beth ­Heffernan, then an undersecretary, interviewed ­Burgess as part of the hiring process. ­Heffernan said last week that the hiring process was “seriously flawed” and “unacceptable.”

Heffernan’s name has surfaced recently as a potential judicial nominee. Patrick ­declined to discuss her possible nomination, other than to say he was sure she would be a great judge.

“That’s all I will say about that right now,’’ the governor said.

The Globe reported Thursday that, besides Heffernan and Bigby, Administration and Finance Secretary Jay Gonzalez and Education Secretary Paul Reville were leaving the administration.

Heffernan will be replaced by Suffolk County Sheriff ­Andrea Cabral.

Bigby will be replaced by John Polanowicz, president of St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center in Brighton, the largest hospital in the Steward Health Care system.

Gonzalez will be replaced by Glen Shor, a top deputy ­before leaving the secretariat in June 2010 to run the state’s Health Connector program.

Reville will be replaced by Matthew Malone, the outgoing superintendent of the Brockton public schools.

Malone became available ­after he and the Brockton School Committee agreed last month to end their five-year contract a year early.

The deal was struck after the seven-member committee gave Malone a composite review score of 2.77 out of 5 for his third year at the helm of the state’s fourth-largest public school system.

Energy and Environmental Affairs Secretary Richard ­Sullivan, Housing and Economic Development Secretary Greg Bialecki, Elder Affairs Secretary Ann L. Hartstein, Labor and Workforce Development Secretary Joanne Goldstein, Secretary of Veterans’ Services ­Coleman Nee, and Transportation Secretary Richard Davey are remaining in their posts.

Frank Phillips can be reached at phillips@globe.com.
Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.