Next Score View the next score

    Dwayne Moore receives four life sentences in prison without parole for Mattapan massacre killings

    Photos by Wendy Maeda/Globe Staff

    Before a judge ordered Dwayne Moore to spend the rest of his life in prison, the mother of one of his victims took the stand to describe her life without her son. When she finished, Patricia Washum-Bennett walked past Moore, who sat slumped at the defense table, and stared hard at the convicted man.

    He looked at her briefly, then quickly looked down, she ­recalled, a stark contrast to two months ago, when she testified about her slain son, Levaughn Washum-Garrison. Then, Washum-Bennett said, Moore’s eyes bored into her.

    “He was trying to intimidate me,” she said.


    On Tuesday, she and other relatives of the four people killed on a Mattapan street in September 2010, faced Moore, who was convicted Monday of killing Simba Martin, 21; his girlfriend Eyanna Flonory, 21; her 2-year-old son, Amanihotep Smith; and Washum-Garrison, 22. Moore was acquitted of three charges, including possession of a firearm and the attempted murder of Marcus Hurd, who was shot in the back of the head but survived.

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Washum-Garrison had been sleeping on Martin’s couch that night, when prosecutors said three men stormed his Sutton Street home to steal $1,800 in cash and crack cocaine from Martin, a drug dealer.

    “Eighteen hundred dollars,” Washum-Bennett said after the sentencing, recalling her remarks in court. “That’s $360 for each person shot. I paid more than that to have him, to give birth to him, to raise him. Really? That’s what you took him for?”

    The remarks given by family members, known as victim ­impact statements, were supposed to be made directly to Judge Jeffrey Locke. But the ­anger was pointed at Moore, who was dressed in a dark suit, his face inscrutable.

    “I hope the brutal and savage way you killed Eyanna and Amani haunts you for the rest of your life,’’ said Angela Davis, Flonory’s aunt.


    Locke ordered Moore to serve concurrent life sentences for the murders of Martin and Washum-Garrison and consecutive life sentences for the murders of Flonory and her child. Moore has already spent half his life behind bars. When he was 18, he was sentenced to 15 years for manslaughter for stabbing a teenager at a Milton party. He had only been out of prison four months when he was arrested in 2010.

    During Tuesday’s sentencing, as Locke characterized the brutality of the Mattapan killings, he referred to the killing of 20 children last Friday in ­Newtown, Conn.

    “Those lives are no more inno­cent than was Amanihotep Smith, a 2-year-old with a ­future and that future snuffed for absolutely no reason other than the pure brutality of this crime,” Locke said.

    Assistant District Attorney Edmond Zabin had asked that Moore be sentenced to five consecutive life sentences, citing the horror of that night, when the victims were marched up Woolson Street, then shot.

    But Moore’s defense attorney, John Amabile, said the jury essentially “exonerated” his client of premeditated murder and rejected the notion that Moore had plans to kill and carried out the execution himself.


    When the jury acquitted Moore of unlawful firearm possession, Amabile said, jurors ­rejected the prosecution’s argument that Moore fired the gun that took four lives and injured Hurd.

    That person was Kimani Washington, Amabile said, a 37-year-old career criminal who struck a deal with prosecutors to testify against Moore in exchange for a recommendation of a 16- to 18-year sentence on armed robbery charges.

    Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley scoffed at ­Amabile’s characterization of the jury’s verdict.

    “The idea that [Moore] was exonerated doesn’t hold water,” Conley said.

    Though most jurors ­declined to comment, two told the Globe Tuesday that the panel voted to convict Moore under the legal theory of joint venture, which holds defendants equally responsible for a murder even if they did not shoot the victims, but were full participants in the crime leading to the deaths.

    The five men and seven women on the jury were picked from Worcester County after ­Amabile successfully argued that news coverage of the case would make it difficult to find an impartial jury in the Boston area.

    Moore remained calm during his sentencing and hugged his lawyer.

    The Supreme Judicial Court, the state’s highest, will automatically review Moore’s trial.

    Maria Cramer can be reached at Brian Ballou can be reached at