Deer rescued from ice had to be euthanized

In a dramatic operation, firefighters rescued a deer stranded on the ice at the ­Cambridge Reservoir in Waltham Friday afternoon, but the animal was in such poor condition that it later had to be euthanized.

Helicopter video footage shot by television stations showed two rescuers struggling to grab the stranded deer, an adult female that they had reached in an ice rescue sled. The crew worked for more than 15 minutes to secure the animal, covering its head with a bag and tying its legs. The deer shook the bag off several times as it tried to thrash free.

The crew managed to pull the deer to shore by 12:50 p.m. The deer made distressed noises as it was loaded into a box for transportation to Tufts Wildlife Clinic in Grafton.


In a statement Friday afternoon, the clinic said specialists believed that the deer had been on the ice for hours, possibly overnight, and struggling to get up for an extended period. The animal appeared to be suffering from the “degeneration of skeletal muscle that can result from extreme muscular activity,” the clinic said.

Get Metro Headlines in your inbox:
The 10 top local news stories from metro Boston and around New England delivered daily.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

The deer’s condition was so poor that “the most humane ­solution” was sedation and ­euthanasia, it said.

More than a dozen firefighters and other officials had ­assembled on the shore just ­before noon to rescue the deer, which was lying on the ice ­between a small island and Route 128.

Firefighters were responding to a 911 call from someone at a nearby business park report­ing animals struggling on the reservoir’s ice, Waltham Fire Department Lieutenant Scott Perry said.

The deer appeared to be a football field’s length from Route 128, lying with its head up. The helicopter video showed the deer seemingly calm, with its legs mostly hidden underneath it as firefighters prepared to launch the rescue.


The department’s deputy chief, as well as an engine company and personnel from the Animal Rescue League of ­Boston, were among responders on the scene, Perry said.

Perry said firefighters rescue the animals because of the risk that civilians will endanger themselves by trying to do it.

“Especially with animals, we have people who might become emotional and do something,” Perry said. “We’re trained to do these things and would rather have trained professionals go out and rescue them.”

Waltham Fire Deputy Roger Hebert said that officials initially found another deer on the ice when they arrived, but it had died.

Globe correspondent Haven Orecchio-­Egresitz and ­Suzanne Kreiter of the Globe staff contributed. Lauren Dezenski can be reached at ­