Fireworks blast an accident, fire marshal says


New Hampshire’s fire marshal said the fireworks explosion at a Pelham home last summer that seriously injured a 2-year-old boy was accidental. Fire Marshal J. William Degnan said that 344 mortar shells on the back deck of the home were set off by an aerial spinner firework. Degnan said all 13 people injured, eight adults and five children, were on the deck or in an adjacent, three-season porch. One of the most seriously injured was 2-year-old Ben Bertini, who was kept in a medically induced coma for a week at Shriners Hospital in Boston.

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.
We hope you've enjoyed your free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of
Marketing image of