Station nightclub fire is remembered

Pain, hope mark 10th anniversary

Two survivors of the Station nightclub fire, Deb Wagner (left) and Linda Fisher, and former governor Donald Carcieri of Rhode Island visited the site where 100 people died.
Steven Senne/Associated Press
Two survivors of the Station nightclub fire, Deb Wagner (left) and Linda Fisher, and former governor Donald Carcieri of Rhode Island visited the site where 100 people died.

WEST WARWICK, R.I. — Survivors of a 2003 nightclub blaze that killed 100 people and relatives of those killed huddled together in bitter cold Sunday to mark the 10th anniversary of the Station fire.

Some brought flowers and paid respects at the handmade crosses that dot the site of the fire for each person who died. Others cried and spoke of missing their loved ones and the difficulty of moving past such trauma.

‘‘People that weren’t here really don’t understand why we can’t let this stuff go. I was 30 seconds away from dying,’’ said Walter Castle Jr., 39, a survivor who suffered third-degree burns in his lungs, throat, and bronchial tubes. He said he lost many friends and was in counseling until 2009. Recently, as the 10th anniversary approached, he began having terrible nightmares and had to go back into counseling.


‘‘It’s just very tough,’’ he said.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

The anniversary of the blaze is Wednesday. The fire broke out when pyrotechnics for the rock band Great White ignited flammable packing foam that had been installed in the club as soundproofing. Last month, a fire at a nightclub in Brazil killed more than 230 people under eerily similar circumstances: A band’s pyrotechnic display set fire to soundproofing foam.

Among those who spoke Sunday was former governor Don Carcieri, who took office the month before the fire and still has difficulty speaking about it. He remembered the days families waited at a hotel for word that their loved ones’ remains had been identified, and the anger everyone felt, asking how the tragedy could have happened. But he also remembered how people in Rhode Island, a state with a population of just 1 million, pulled together to help each other. ‘‘At a time of our state’s worst tragedy, in some sense, it was our people’s finest hour,’’ he said.

Angela Bogart, who was 19 when her mother, Jude Henault, was killed in the fire, said she has come to know and understand her mother more in the 10 years since she died, especially since she has become a mother herself.

‘‘My mom lives in me in everything I do. I hear her voice wherever I go,’’ she said. ‘‘When I walk hand-in-hand with my little girl, my mother is holding her other hand.’’


The event also featured musical performances, a reading of the names of the people who died, and 100 seconds of silence.

While somber, the annual gathering at the fire site took on a more hopeful tone this year than in years past because the foundation set up to build a permanent memorial finally secured ownership of the site in September. On Sunday, the Station Fire Memorial Foundation released final plans, which call for a 30-foot-high entrance gate topped by an Aeolian harp. Wind passing through the harp will create music, a reminder that it was music that brought people together that night.

The structure will include individual memorials for each person who died and commemorate the survivors, first responders, and those who helped care for families of the dead and survivors.

It will also include a pavilion as a gathering place.

Families are being asked to remove the crosses and other mementos left at the makeshift memorial that has developed over the years. The items left behind will be buried in a capsule under what is now a parking lot. There will be no digging on the land under where the club once stood because of the fear of disturbing human remains.


While many materials and laborial will be donated, foundation officials must raise $1 million to $2 million to build and maintain it.

‘I was 30 seconds away from dying. . . . It’s just very tough.’

The foundation hopes to break ground in the spring. Construction could take as long as two years.

Gina Russo, who was badly burned in the fire and whose fiancé was killed, is president of the foundation and said the memorial would turn the site into something beautiful.

‘‘It’s a happy moment going forward,’’ she said.