Next Score View the next score

    Man who fled scene of Mattapan slaying arraigned

    As the family of Rayshawn ­Lamont Few went about the somber business Tuesday of planning his funeral, a Roxbury Community College student was ordered held on $100,000 cash bail on gun charges after he was arrested fleeing an area near the scene of Few’s shooting. “Why couldn’t he have gone in his sleep, or died of a sickness or something,” ­Pamela Few, 62, the victim’s mother, said as she sat in her living room. “. . . To get gunned down in the street like that, it’s just too much for us to take.”

    Police said Few, 27, of Boston, was shot several times in the vicinity of 24 Woodruff Way in Mattapan and was pronounced dead at the scene early Sunday mornin g.

    Prosecutors allege that 22-year-old Osmell Odena was one of three men who fled in a vehicle from the area at 2:35 a.m. Sunday, as police were responding to the shooting.


    Odena was a passenger in a brown Nissan Maxima. After a car chase that lasted for about a mile and ended near the intersection of Donwood Terrace and Ridgeview Avenue, the three suspects jumped out and ran. Police chased them and caught Odena, but the other two men remain at large, accord­ing to authorities.

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Odena was arraigned in Dorchester District Court and charged with carrying a loaded firearm and ammunition without a license. Odena’s attorney, Kelli Porges, pleaded not guilty on her client’s behalf. Porges said Odena lives with his grandparents, is a full-time student at Roxbury Community College, and works with at-risk juveniles at a program in Canton.

    According to prosecutors, when police retraced the route that Odena ran, they found a discarded revolver, still hot to the touch and loaded with six bullets.

    Pamela Few said her son was trying to put his life in order for his 3-year-old son. She said he recent­ly took an entrance exam for a corrections officer position.

    “Now, we’re planning his burial,” she said.


    Yesterday, a judge revoked ­Odena's bail in a case from December, stemming from a traffic stop that resulted in a charge of assault with a dangerous weapon.

    A court hearing had been scheduled for March 26 on that inci­dent, in which Odena allegedly tapped on his gas pedal several times causing his car to inch ­toward a police officer who had stopped him, authorities said.

    Odena has not been charged with Few’s death.

    Cheryl Fiandaca, spokes­woman for the Boston Police Depart­ment, declined to discuss the details of the case, saying it ­remains an active investigation.

    “We cannot comment on the scope of the investigation or the status of other possible suspects,” she said.


    The homicide was the fourth in Boston this year.

    Arguing that the $100,000 bail was too high, Porges said Odena has no juvenile record or restraining orders against him and was not driving the car that sparked the chase. She also argued that since the gun recovered contained six bullets, it was bit the gun used in the slaying.

    Odena’s uncle and great-uncle attended the arraignment, and the uncle spoke briefly afterward, saying that his nephew is a great basket­ball player.

    “He has no reason to be in here, to be in jail,” said the uncle, who declined to give his name. “This is way too much to handle.”

    When asked about the high cash bail, the uncle shook his head from side to side. “That’s crazy,” he said, standing next to a group of young men who also attended the arraignment as a show of support for Odena.

    The uncle said Odena was known for his basketball skills. Odena played for New Mission High School in Hyde Park and then enrolled at American International College in Springfield. The Globe ran a story on Feb. 19, 2010, headlined “Odena sinks Eastie” that detailed how he made a three-point shot to top East ­Boston in the city league semifinals.

    Art Luptowski, head basketball coach at American International, said Odena was a nonscholarship player during the 2010-2011 school year, but left school after one semester.

    “He didn’t do well academically,” Luptowski said. “I heard he went to Roxbury Community; that was the last I heard of him.”

    “Is this shocking, yes, absolutely,” Luptowski said after he was ­informed of the charges against his former player.

    Pamela Few said she knew only a few details about her son’s last moments alive. He went to a ­Valentine’s Day party at the home of a good friend, and a conflict arose with another group as he ­entered the house.

    “We were told he was outside smoking a cigarette when it happened.”

    Brian Ballou can be reached at Follow him on Twitter @GlobeBallou.