Next Score View the next score

    MGH researcher injured in chemical accident

    A researcher working with a chemical suffered a serious cut to his arm when a glass container shattered Tuesday in a Charlestown lab, prompting firefighters to send a hazardous materials team to the site run by Massachusetts General ­Hospital, officials said.

    Despite the glass breaking, however, no toxic substances were released, Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald said at the scene at 149 13th St.

    A technician on the sixth floor was working with tetrazine at about 3 p.m. when the glass burst, MacDonald said.


    In a statement, the hospital said that a chemical reaction caused the glass to burst, and the researcher suffered arm lacerations.

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    “The researcher is being treated in the MGH Emergency Department,” the statement said.

    No evacuation order was ­issued.

    A firefighter suffered an unrelated injury while exiting a fire truck that responded to the scene, ­MacDonald said.

    Jennifer Mehigan, a spokeswoman for Boston Emergency Medical Services, said the firefighter was also taken to Mass. General. She described the injuries to both men as minor.


    “Luckily the incident was not serious, though we had the staff ready to care for a large number of ­patients,” Mehigan said in an e-mail .

    John R. Ellement of the Globe staff contributed to this report. Travis Andersen can be reached at Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.