Scituate fares first high tide well

Jonathan Wiggs / Globe Staff
Wind and waves crashed against the shore in Scituate Thursday.

The wind was whipping in Scituate Thursday morning as the town weathered the first of three tide cycles predicted to rock an already ravaged coastline.

According to Emergency Management Director and Fire Chief Richard Judge, the water was coming over on the coast only a little after the first high tide Thursday morning at 6:44 a.m., but otherwise Scituate was doing well.

“It’s coming over, not too bad. I was just going to go out to evaluate the roads, see what’s passable, what isn’t. But we’re ready,” Judge said during an early morning phone call at 7 a.m.


Judge said it seemed that some people heeded the town’s warning the day before and evacuated the coast; Scituate schools were also closed. Three people came in to the shelter Wednesday night. Judge said he expected them to head off to work Thursday morning.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

As for the rest, “Im sure a lot of people got out last night. Either that or they are still sleeping,” Judge said.

Scituate residents also reported high, rough seas Thursday morning but nothing overly problematic or unexpected.

“Water up onto the lawns and decks on the harbor side of #Scituate but just starting to recede a bit,” Melissa Marram posted on Twitter. She lives on Lighthouse Road.

Though Lighthouse, which faces the harbor, was doing well, Marram said the ocean-side Rebecca Road was still getting slammed from wave action at 7:30 a.m.


“It was coming over, just the amount I think most of us figured it would,” said David Ball, a Rebecca Road resident. “[There is a] medium, moderate [amount of] flooding, nothing horrendous at this point. The tide is starting to drop off. Tomorrow morning will be the bigger problem.”

Ball, a member of the town’s Seawall Committee, said his main concern will be the coastal barriers, which already took a beating less than a month ago with Blizzard Nemo.

“Every time you have a storm like this they take more of a pounding…that’s always a big problem,” Ball said, noting that the area in front of the Lighthouse was particularly vulnerable because many of the rocks in front had been dislodged by previous storms.

As residents watch the seas, so too will Scituate officials. The low tide is slowly approaching at 1 p.m, however if the winds keep up, the tides won’t recede enough during the low tide cycles, Judge said.

Even though a section of Minot lost power for a bit in Scituate, and the strong wind may bring down some tree limbs, the tide will continue to be the primary concern and focus, he said.


“The snow is blowing around and it changed to rain, but nothing is sticking,” Judge said. “We’re not worried about any snow, we’re mainly concerned about the forecast with the coast; they were scaring us.”

Scituate will have to get through two more high tides - one at 7:29 p.m. Thursday evening, and another at 7:49 a.m. Friday morning.

The Friday morning high tide will be astronomically higher than Thursday evening, according to tide charts.