You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Ex-newspaper delivery man accused of theft

A 22-year-old Reading resident and former newspaper ­delivery man has been charged with stealing more than $200,000 from his customers through counterfeit checks, the Middlesex district attorney’s ­office said.

Ikponmwosa Ogiugo, who worked as a newspaper deliverer in Woburn last year, was ­arraigned Tuesday in Woburn District Court on multiple charges including 12 counts of identity fraud and 23 counts of forgery, the office of District ­Attorney Gerard T. Leone Jr. said in a statement.

Continue reading below

Complaints from some of Ogiugo’s customers in Woburn last year led to an investigation by authorities in December 2012 tracking evidence that reached across state lines and out of the country. Woburn and Reading police, as well State ­Police, joined in the investigation, the statement said.

Investigators said Ogiugo would often receive tips for his services in the form of checks and then allegedly make new computer-generated blank checks using customers’ personal banking information.

The counterfeit checks were then sent out of state and ­deposited into strangers’ bank accounts where investigators believe the unsuspecting individuals were persuaded by ­Ogiugo to forward the money to a bank in India.

A number for Ogiugo was not in service Tuesday night, and the name of his lawyer could not be determined.

“These are very concerning allegations, where a person used his position of trust with long-term newspaper delivery customers, many of them elderly, to gain access to their personal information and then ­manipulated that information to gain a monetary benefit for himself,” Leone said.

The district attorney’s office did not specify what newspaper Ogiugo delivered.

Ogiugo allegedly earned more when victims closed their accounts after learning unauthorized checks were being used from their accounts, ­Leone’s office said. Unaware of the suspect’s involvement, several victims re-issued a substitute gratuity check to Ogiugo.

A judge ordered Ogiugo held on $5,000 cash bail with condition that he surrender his passport out of fear he might flee to his native land of Nigeria, accord­ing to the statement.

Melanie Dostis can be reached at melanie.dostis@globe.com.
Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.